The Language of Advertising
Written Texts, 2nd Edition
Routledge – 2002 – 144 pages
The Intertext series has been specifically designed to meet the needs of contemporary English Language Studies. The core book, Working with Texts, is the foundation text which provides an introduction to language analysis. It is complemented by a range of 'satellite' titles which provide students with hands-on practical experience of textual analysis through special topics. They can be used individually or in conjunction with Working with Texts.
Drawing on literary and linguistic theory for analysis of texts, The Language of Advertising covers all aspects of advertising language, from the interrelation of language, image and layout to the discourse between 'reader' and advertisement.
The second edition has been substantially rewritten to incorporate recent developments in the field. Features include:
* a range of new advertisements, from Orange to Young Person's Railcard
* new material on internet advertising and its influence on paper texts
* new material on advertising designed to be seen 'on the move'
* new activities to support student-directed study
* updated Further Reading sections and a list of URLs for students to visit.
Angela Goddard is Senior Lecturer in Language at the Centre for Human Communication, Manchester Metropolitan University and is a Chair of English Language for AS/A Level.