Published December 9th 1999 by Routledge – 104 pages
Series: Language Workbooks
Semantics is an accessible and practical introduction to formal semantics, the study of linguistic meaning, for students new to the subject. Semantics:
* shows how meanings are built up and interrelated
* presupposes very little prior knowledge of grammar or linguistic terminology
* includes a glossary of technical terms
* provides a progression of exercises with answers given at the back
* backs up the activities with short, clear explanations
* includes an appendix on sets and functions.
Howard Gregory has taught languages and linguistics at various levels and in several countries. He currently works at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London.