Routledge – 2008 – 282 pages
Series: Colloquial Series
Colloquial Bengali provides a step-by-step course in Bengali as it is written and spoken today. Combining a user-friendly approach with a thorough treatment of the language, it equips learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Bengali in a broad range of situations. No prior knowledge of the language is required.
Key features include:
• progressive coverage of speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
• structured, jargon-free explanations of grammar
• an extensive range of focused and stimulating exercises
• realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of scenarios
• useful vocabulary lists throughout the text
• additional resources available at the back of the book, including a full answer key, a grammar summary and bilingual glossaries
Balanced, comprehensive and rewarding, Colloquial Bengali will be an indispensable resource both for independent learners and students taking courses in Bengali.
The complete course comprises the book and audio materials. These are available to purchase separately in paperback, ebook, CD and MP3 format. The paperback and CDs can also be purchased together in the great-value Colloquials pack.
Paperback: 978-0-415-26119-7 (please note this does not include the audio)
CDs : 978-0-415-30254-8eBook: 978-0-203-09907-0 (please note this does not include the audio, available from www.tandfebooks.com)
MP3s: 978-0-415-47676-8 (available from www.tandfebooks.com)
Pack : 978-0-415-26121-0 (paperback and CDs)
Mithun B. Nasrin is a Bengali teacher, journalist and writer. She recently published Shornopurir Rajkumari, a fairytale about Bandladeshi politics. W.A.M van der Wurff, a teacher of linguistics at Newcastle University, previously co-authored with her an introduction to Bengali language in Dutch. His other work has included detailed studies of Bengali grammar. Their joint aim in life is to celebrate the beauty of Bengali language, culture and cooking.