China and the Internet
Politics of the Digital Leap Forward
Edited by Christopher R. Hughes, Gudrun Wacker
Routledge – 2003 – 192 pages
Series: Politics in Asia
China and the Internet: Politics of the Digital Leap Forward is a comprehensive assessment of the political and economic impact of information and communication technologies (ITCs) on Chinese society. It provides in-depth analyses of topics including economic development, civil and political liberties, bureaucratic politics, international relations and security studies.
The book covers the aspirations of Chinese policy-makers using the Internet to achieve a 'digital leapfrog' of economic development. Avoiding technical jargon, the book is accessible to anyone interested in the social impact of the Internet and information and communication technologies, from those in academia to business and public policy-makers.
'The authors describe a complex situation where technological, commercial, political and societal elements are playing crucial roles in the future development of the Internet in China.' - Asian Journal of Communication
'This edited volume begins to fill a gap in academic research on the development of the Internet in China.' - China Review International
Christopher R. Hughes and Gudrun Wacker Introduction: China's Digital Leap Forward
1. Xiudian Dai ICTs in China's Development Strategy
2. Karsten Giese Internet Growth and the Digital Divide
3. Gudrun Wacker The Internet and Censorship in China
4. Junhua Zhang Network Convergence and Bureaucratic Turf Wars
5. Ngai-Ling Sum (Re)-Imagining 'Greater China': Silicon Valley and the Strategy of Siliconization
6. Monika Ermert and Christopher R. Hughes What's in a Chinese Domain Name?
7. Christopher R. Hughes Fighting the Smokeless War: ICTs and International Security
Christopher R Hughes is Director of the Asia Research Centre and Lecturer in the department of International Relations at London School of Economics.
Gudrun Wacker is Head of Research Unit Asia, Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik (German Institute for International and Security Affairs), Berlin, Germany's major think tank.