Handbook of Urban Education
Edited by H. Richard Milner IV, Kofi Lomotey
Routledge – 2014 – 600 pages
This volume brings together leading scholars in urban education to focus on inner city matters, specifically as they relate to educational research, theory, policy, and practice. Each chapter provides perspectives on the history and evolving nature of urban education, the current education landscape, and helps chart an all-important direction for future work and needs. The Handbook addresses seven areas that capture the breadth and depth of available knowledge in urban education: (1) Psychology, Health and Human Development, (2) Sociological Perspectives, (3) Families and Communities, (4) Teacher Education and Special Education, (5) Leadership, Administration and Leaders, (6) Curriculum & Instruction, and (7) Policy and Reform.
SECTION I. Psychology, Health & Human Development
1. Serving Vulnerable Children and Youth in the Urban Context, William F. Tate IV, Christopher Hamilton, Brittni Jones, W. Brett Robertson, Ashley Macrander, Lyndsie Schultz & Elizabeth Thorne-Wallington
2. Liberating Urban Education & Human Freedom, Joyce E. King, Chikotche Akua & LaToya Russell
3. Health, Nutrition & Physical Activity, Samuel Hodge & Alexander Vigo-Valentin
SECTION II. Sociological Perspectives
4. Student Resilience in Urban America, Carla O’Connor, Jennifer Mueller & Alaina Neal
5. Ethnic-Matching in Urban Schools, Donald Easton-Brooks
6. Urban Schools & the Black Male "Challenge," Pedro A. Noguera
7. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning People & Issues in Urban Education, Mollie V. Blackburn & Lance M. McCready
SECTION III. Families & Communities
8. Parent Involvement for Urban Students & Youth of Color, William Jeynes
9. Community & Family Involvement in Urban Schools, Gloria Swindler Boutte, George L. Johnson, Jr.
10. English Language Learners & Partnerships with Families, Communities, Teacher Preparation & Schools, Ana Christina DaSilva Iddings, Mary Cartol Combs & Luis Moll
SECTION IV. Teacher Education & Special Education
11. Teacher Preparation for Urban Schools, Tyrone Howard & H. Richard Milner IV
12. Grow Your Own Teachers for Urban Education, Eric Toshalis
13. Latina/o Youth as Educational Researchers: Implications for Teaching & Learning In Urban Schools, Jason G. Irizarry & Anjale Welton
14. Teacher Influences in the Racialization of Disabilities, Adai Tefera, Kathleen King Thorius & Alfredo J. Artilles
15. African American Students & Other Students of Color in Special Education, Wanda J. Blanchett
SECTION V. Leadership, Administration, & Leaders
16. Professional Identities of Urban School Principals, Gary M. Crow & Samantha Paredes Scribner
17. Urban School Leadership & Fit, Ira Bogotch, Leo Nesmith, Scott Smith & Frank Gaines
18. Black Students, Urban Schools, & Black Principals: Leadership Practices That Address Disenfranchisement, Kofi Lomotey & Kendra Lowery
SECTION VI. Curriculum & Instruction
19. Culturally Responsive Teaching Principles, Practices & Effects, Geneva Gay
20. Urban Mathematics Education, Danny Martin & Gregory V. Larnell
21. Urban Literacy Learning, David E. Kirkland
22. Hip Hop Culture as a Teaching-Learning Tool in Urban Schools, Jon Yasin
SECTION VII. Policy and Reforms
23. Race, Research & Urban Education, Gloria Ladson-Billings
24. The Evolving Landscape of School Choice in the United States, Mark Berends
25. School Reform & School Choice, Adrienne D. Dixson, Camika Royal and Kevin Lawrence Henry, Jr.
26. Charter Schools & Urban Education Reform, Thandeka K. Chapman
27. High-Stake Reforms & Urban Education, Julian Vasquez Heilig, Muhammad Khalifa & Linda Tillman
H. Richard Milner IV is the Helen Faison Endowed Chair in Urban Education, Professor of Education, Professor of Social Work, Professor of Africana Studies, and Director of the Center for Urban Education at the University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.
Kofi Lomotey is the Chancellor John Bardo and Deborah Bardo Distinguished Professor in Educational Leadership at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, North Carolina, USA.