Islamic Fundamentalism since 1945
Routledge – 2013 – 176 pages
Featuring a brand new examination of Islamic fundamentalism in the wake of the Arab Spring, this fully revised and updated second edition of Islamic Fundamentalism since 1945 analyzes the roots and emergence of Islamic movements in the modern world and the main thinkers that inspired them.
Providing a much-needed historical overview of a fast-changing socio-political landscape, the main facets of Islamic fundamentalism are put in a global context, with a thematic debate of issues such as:
- the effects of colonialism on Islam
- secularism and the Islamic reaction
- Islam and violence in the 9/11 era
- globalization and transnational Islamist movements
- Islam in the wake of the Arab Awakening
Islamic Fundamentalism since 1945 provides an authoritative account of the causes and diversity of Islamic fundamentalism, a modern phenomenon which has grabbed the headlines as a grave threat to the West and a potentially revolutionary trend in the Middle East. It is a valuable resource for students and those interested in the history, effects and consequences of these Islamic movements
"Islamic Fundamentalism since 1945 by Milton-Edwards is an excellent analysis of the root causes of lslamic movements in the modern world and challenges faced today by Muslim and non-Muslim countries. The book is well written and is accessible to specialists as well as ordinary readers who are interested in this topic. Summing up: Recommended."
B. A. Yesilada, Portland State University in CHOICE
1. A Diverse Tradition from Past to Present 2. The Advance of Secularism: Decline of Islam? 3. Identity and Revivalism 4. Islam Armed: Resistance in an Ideological Era 5. Going Global: Fundamentalism and Terror 6. Ground Zero and Islamic Fundamentalism 7. The Arab Spring and Islamism
Beverley Milton-Edwards is a Professor in the School of Politics, International Studies and Philosophy at Queen's University, Belfast. She is the author of Contemporary Politics in the Middle East (2011), The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict (Routledge, 2008) and with Peter Hinchcliffe, Conflicts in the Middle East since 1945 (Routledge, 2007).