The Romance of Arthur
An Anthology of Medieval Texts in Translation, 3rd Edition
Edited by Norris J. Lacy, James J. Wilhelm
Routledge – 2013 – 572 pages
The Romance of Arthur, James J. Wilhelm’s classic anthology of Arthurian literature, is an essential text for students of the medieval Romance tradition.
This fully updated third edition presents a comprehensive reader, mapping the course of Arthurian literature, and is expanded to cover:
Norris J. Lacy builds on the book’s source material, presenting readers with a clear introduction to many accessible modern-spelling versions of Arthurian texts. The extracts are presented in a new reader-friendly format with detailed suggestions for further reading and illustrations of key places, figures, and scenes. The Romance of Arthur provides an excellent introduction and an extensive resource for both students and scholars of Arthurian literature.
Preface to 2nd Edition James J. Wilhelm
Preface to 3rd Edition Norris J. Lacy
1. Arthur in the Latin Chronicles James J. Wilhelm
2. Arthur in the Early Welsh Tradition John K. Bollard
3. Culhwch and Olwen Richard M. Loomis
4. Arthur in Geoffrey of Monmouth Richard M. Loomis
5. Wace: Roman de Brut (Merlin Episodes and "he Birth and Rise of Arthur) James J. Wilhelm
6. Layamon: Brut (The Death of Arthur) James J. Wilhelm
7. Chrétien de Troyes: Lancelot, or The Knight of the Cart William W. Kibler
8. Chrétien de Troyes: Perceval, or The Story of the Grail (Grail excerpts) Norris J. Lacy (intro.) and William W. Kibler (trans.)
9. Wolfram von Eschenbach, Parzival (From Book IX) Norris J. Lacy (intro.) and Cyril Edwards (trans.)
10. The Quest for the Holy Grail (The Grail Liturgy) Norris J. Lacy (intro.) and E. Jane Burns (trans.)
11.Selected Lyrics James J. Wilhelm
12. The Saga of the Mantle Marianne E. Kalinke
13. Béroul: The Romance of Tristran Norris J. Lacy
14. Marie de France: Chievrefueil (The Honeysuckle) and Lanval Norris J. Lacy
15. Thomas of Britain: Tristran (The Marriage Soliloquy and the Ending) Joan Tasker Grimbert (with the Hall of Statues episode from the Norse Tristrams saga ok Ísöndar, trans. Marianne E. Kalinke)
16. Cantare on the Death of Tristan James J. Wilhelm
17. The Prose Merlin and The Suite du Merlin (Episodes) Samuel N. Rosenberg
18. The Rise of Gawain, Nephew of Arthur Mildred Leake Day
19. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight James J. Wilhelm
20. The Wedding of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnell Alan Lupack
21. The Alliterative Morte Arthure (Excerpts) Valerie Krishna
22. Sir Thomas Malory: Le Morte Darthur (The Sword in the Stone and the Death of Arthur) Dorsey Armstrong
Norris J. Lacy is Edwin Erle Sparks Professor of French and Medieval Studies at Pennsylvania State University, USA.
James J. Wilhelm is a leading scholar of medieval literature and twentieth-century poetry. He was formerly Professor of Comparative Literature at Rutgers University.