Exploring Initiative and Referendum Law
Selected State Research Guides
Edited by Beth Williams
Routledge – 2009 – 372 pages
Routledge – 2009 – 372 pages
Researching ballot measures can be one of the most daunting types of legal research. Exploring Initiative and Referendum Law: Selected State Research Guides offers legal researchers an easy-to-use guide that provides thorough overviews of I&R (initiative and referendum) laws within twenty-three states. This unique resource provides state-specific guidance about both forms of I&R law, those state laws permitting I&R, and those state laws enacted as a result of the I&R process. Any legal researcher beginning a project or needing to know just where to go for the right resources will get helpful general and specific information on practical research strategies and resources.
Up to now, finding the literature to research the state-specific history of a law passed by initiative or referendum has been extremely difficult. This book fills this gap by providing top researchers with brief overviews of the individual state processes while providing important primary and secondary sources, including Web sites. The guide’s chapters are separated alphabetically by state for fast and easy reference. Annotated bibliographies of books, articles, and Web sites are provided, along with instructions about what documents one can expect to find on the Web, and how to use free databases.
Because of this useful volume’s unique focus, the book may well become an essential resource for law librarians, attorneys, law faculty, law students, and Political Science scholars.
This book was published as a special issue of Legal Reference Services Quarterly.
1. Introduction to Researching Initiative and Referendum Law: General Strategies and Resources Beth Williams
2. Alaska Initiatives and Referenda Tina S. Ching
3. Arizona Initiatives and Referenda Tina S. Ching
4. Researching Initiatives and Referendums in Arkansas Joseph A. Custer
5. Researching Initiatives and Referendums: A Guide for Colorado Goldie Burton
6. Researching Initiatives and Referendums: A Guide for Florida Elizabeth Outler
7. Initiative and Referendum Process in Idaho: A Research Guide Kristin M. Ford
8. Illinois Initiatives and Referenda Shannon L. Malcolm
9. Researching Initiatives and Referenda: A Guide for Maine Christine I. Hepler
10. Democracy’s Harvest: Resources for Massachusetts Voters’ Initiatives and Referendums Spencer E. Clough
11. Initiatives and Referenda in Michigan: A Research Guide Tammy R. Pettinato
12. Researching Initiatives and Referendums: A Guide for Mississippi Stacey A. Lane
13. Researching Initiatives and Referenda: A Guide for Missouri Margaret McDermott
14. Researching Initiatives and Referendums: A Guide for Big Sky Country—Montana Lisa Mecklenberg Jackson
15. Researching the Initiative and Referendum Process in Nebraska Patrick J. Charles
16. Researching Initiatives and Referenda: A Guide for Nevada Thomas R. Boone
17. Powers Reserved to the People: A Guide for Researching Initiatives and Referendums in North Dakota Rhonda R. Schwartz
18. Researching Initiatives and Referenda: A Guide for Ohio Sara A. Sampson
19. Researching Initiatives and Referenda: A Guide for Oklahoma Patricia R. Monk
20. Researching Oregon Initiatives and Referendums Beth Williams and David Dames
21. Researching Initiatives and Referendums: A Guide for South Dakota Candice Spurlin
22. Utah Initiatives and Referenda: A Research Guide Connie Strittmatter
23. Researching Washington State Initiatives and Referendums Beth Williams
24. Initiatives and Referenda in Wyoming Debora A. Person and Tawnya Plumb
Beth Williams is Reference Librarian, Arthur W. Diamond Law Library, Columbia University School of Law. As a member of the Columbia Law Library Reference Department, she teaches legal research to first-year law students every fall and participates in teaching seminars in Advanced Legal Research and International Legal Research each spring semester. She holds appointments as Lecturer in Law at Columbia Law School and as Lecturer in Information and Archive Management at COlumbia University.