The Revels History of Drama
Edited by T.W. Craik, Clifford Leech, Lois Potter
To Be Published September 30th 2013 by Routledge – 3,342 pages
Series: Routledge Library Editions
This work provides a comprehensive account of drama written and performed in English from its roots in the medieval mystery plays to the progress of drama in Britain and America since 1945. The volumes, which are arranged chronologically, critically examine the drama, playwrights, actors and audiences of each period in their social and historical context.
Key themes in The Revels History of Drama include:
* the changing attitudes of audiences and public taste
* the developing roles of actors, managers and directors
* the evolution of acting styles
Each volume contains:
* a chronological table containing historical, theatrical and other literary events
* illustrations from contemporary sources
* a substantial bibliography.