Classic Case Studies in Psychology
By Geoff Rolls
Routledge – 2010 – 224 pages
Have you heard about the man who lived with a hole in his head? Or the boy raised by his parents as a girl? From the woman with multiple personalities, to the man with no brain, this collection of case studies provides a compelling insight into the human mind. This is a fascinating collection of human stories. Some are well-known case studies that have informed clinical practice, others are relatively unknown.
For this edition, Rolls has added recent research findings on each case study plus four brand new cases: the story of Washoe, the ape who could communicate; the much debated case of Holly Ramona and repressed memory; and Kim Peek, the real 'Rainman'.
Classic Case Studies in Psychology is for everyone who has ever wondered about the stranger side of life. No prior knowledge of psychology is required, just an open mind. For those who wish to use this book as part of their studies, or who are just keen to learn more, fun multiple choice questions, fascinating further reading, helpful web links, and self-assessment questions are all available free on our website, www.routledge.com/cw/rolls. Prepare to be amazed …
Part 1: Cognitive Psychology
1. The man who couldnâ€™t forget: the story of Solomon Shereshevsky (â€˜Sâ€™)
2. The man with no past: the story of Henry M (â€˜HMâ€™)
3. The man who was disappointed by what he saw: the story of S.B.
4. Kim Peek: The real Rain Man
5. Holly Ramona and the nature of memory
Part 2: Social Psychology
6. The girl who cried murder: the story of Catherine â€˜Kittyâ€™ Genovese
Part 3: Developmental psychology
7. Innocence lost: the story of Genie
8. The boy who was never a girl: the story of David Reimer
9. The Wild Boy of Aveyron: the story of Victor
10. Two little boys: The story of Little Albert and Little Peter
Part 4: Individual differences
11. The boy who needed to play: the story of Dibs
12. The man who was turned on by prams and handbags
13. Freudâ€™s analysis of phobia in a young boy: the story of Little Hans
14. The three faces of Eve: the story of Chris Sizemore
15. The boy who couldnâ€™t stop washing: a story of OCD
Part 5: Physiological psychology
16. The men who didnâ€™t sleep: the story of Peter Tripp and Randy Gardner
17. The man who lived with a hole in his head: The story of Phineas Gage
18. The man with no brain?
Part 6: Comparative psychology
19. Talking to the animals: Washoe and Roger Fouts
Geoff Rolls is Lecturer in psychology at Peter Symonds College, Winchester