The Territories and States of India
Published September 26th 2002 by Routledge – 320 pages
This invaluable collection of information provides an in-depth guide to the regional dimension of the politics and economy of this vast and complex country. Incomparable in its coverage, it supplies the reader with a more complete understanding of India as a whole.
Part One: Introduction
An informative essay on the political development of India; The Centre and the States: Evolution of a Union
* a chronology of the country, with particular emphasis on regional issues
* statistics of major demographic and economic indicators, including comparative data
* information about the structure and organization of the national government in India.
Part Two: Territorial Surveys
Providing a wealth of information on each of the twenty-eight states and seven territories, each chapter includes:
* details of geography
* an account of the current and historical political situation
* an economic survey, including key statistics and details of infrastructure, agriculture, industry and tourism
* a directory of leading officials.
'This is an excellent book for reference shelves.' - Reference Reviews