Welcome to the Routledge South Asian Studies Catalog for 2013
Routledge has a long-standing and flourishing list of Asian Studies titles, publishing high-quality research monographs, textbooks and reference works across the Social Sciences and Humanities. Our programme on South Asia has been expanding over the past few years, and I actively commissions books in the area. If you have any book ideas, I would definitely like to hear from you!
Some of the highlights from this year’s publishing on South Asia include:
- New additions to our flourishing Handbooks programme: The Routledge Handbook of Indian Politics, The Routledge Handbook of Indian Cinemas and The Routledge Handbook of the South Asian Diaspora.
- Brand new textbooks, including The Modern Anthropology of India and The Routledge Atlas of South Asian Affairs.
- New titles in our exciting series Routledge Advances in South Asian Studies, Routledge/Edinburgh South Asian Studies and Intersections: Colonial and Postcolonial Histories and in our series on Asian religion: Routledge Critical Studies in Buddhism series and Routledge Hindu Studies Series.
I hope you will enjoy browsing this catalogue and the Asian Studies website (www.routledge.com/asianstudies), where you will find details of all our books, including our extensive backlist.
With best wishes from the Asian Studies team
Dorothea Schaefter, Senior Editor, Asian Studies
Navigate the catalog via the contents on the left, and use it to:
- Browse full details of all our new titles; including tables of contents, reviews, author biographies and more
- Recommend titles of interest to your librarian
- Request complimentary exam copies where offered*
- Create unique booklists to browse, buy, and forward to friends, colleagues and librarians.
*Instructors teaching a relevant class with more than twelve students are invited to request complimentary exam copies of any title marked as a textbook, either by clicking on the ‘Complimentary Exam Copy’ buttons or by contacting email@example.com with your course details.
A small selection of our titles include:
This book explores the economy and society of Provincial India in the post-Green Revolution period. It argues that the low 'quality' of capital development in India's villages and small towns is the joint outcome of the informal economic organisation, that is strongly biased in favour of...
Published April 24th 2013 by Routledge
Offering the first long-duration analysis of the relationship between the state and religion in South Asia, this book looks at the nature and origins of Indian secularism. It interrogates the proposition that communalism in India is wholly a product of colonial policy and modernisation, questions...
Published March 28th 2012 by Routledge
The death of the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb in 1707 until the annexation of Maratha territories by the British East India Company in 1818 was a period of transition for the economy of India. This book focuses on these transitions, and shows how a study of this period of Indian history contributes to...
To Be Published June 27th 2013 by Routledge
An Introductory Grammar and Reader Revised Edition
Now available in paperback, this grammar offers a completely new approach to the study of Sanskrit, aimed at students with no previous specialist knowledge of the categories of grammar. It is a stimulating and infectious approach, designed to cultivate rapid and lasting enthusiasm for...
Published February 26th 2009 by Routledge
This introductory textbook provides students with a fundamental understanding of the politics of six South Asian countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. It adopts a broad theoretical framework and evaluates the opportunities and constraints facing South Asia’s...
To Be Published January 14th 2014 by Routledge
Candravati's Bengali Epic
Series: Routledge Hindu Studies Series
The Ramayana, an ancient epic of India, with audiences across vast stretches of time and geography, continues to influence numberless readers socially and morally through its many re-tellings. Made available in English for the first time, the 16th century version presented here is by Candravati, a...
Published June 12th 2013 by Routledge