From The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS)
Produced by the Transnational Threats and Politics Risk Programme of the IISS, one of the world’s leading authorities on political military issues, and updated on a daily basis by area specialists, the ACD features current, objective analysis of over 75 armed conflicts and terrorist activities.
The ACD interface features an attractive, intuitive design that offers fast access to conflict summaries and other data by search, selection of countries, conflicts, and armed groups, or regional browsing via a new group of interactive maps.
Three other popular features include:
- The Statistics Section, an easily navigable page permitting users to create bar graphs and charts of specific data on conflicts from 1997 to the present
- The Timelines which offer daily updates on key events in active conflicts
- The Interactive Service through which subscribers can get access to ACD experts on various conflict issues.
In addition to current coverage, throughout this database users can access convenient drop-down menus to select background and topical analyses of specific years.
- Annual Conflict Review - analyses the latest political, military and humanitarian developments in the conflict
- Frequent Updates - the database is updated with currents events every month
- Political Status - examines whether combatants are in conflict or negotiations
- Fatalities - maintains a check on the humanitarian effects of the conflict
- Weapons - overviews acquisitions, the general military balance between combatants and more
- Non-State Armed Groups - a list which includes selected groups, their estimated strength, origin, political or ideological aims and areas of operation
- Historical Background - a researched historical background and assessment for each conflict
- Timeline - a constantly updated timeline relating to each conflict
- Key Links and Access - links to citations of key articles on the conflict and full-text access to major reports, NGO documents and other key materials
- Reports and Fact Sheets - users can browse through the different year-on-year reports and fact sheets online
- Targeted Reports - users can generate their own targeted reports on conflict data going back to 1997 and correlate reports from various years, conflicts, regions and topics.
‘The Armed Conflict Database (ACD) from the International Institute for Strategic Studies is an invaluable tool for the annual compilation of the Global Peace Index’. - Andrew Williamson, Global Economic Research Director, Economist Intelligence Unit, UK
Order a 30 day free trial.
You can also recommend the ACD to your librarian.