For two centuries Taylor & Francis has been fully committed to the publication of scholarly information of the highest quality, and today this remains the primary goal.
The foundations of the company were laid in pioneering fashion when in 1798 Richard Taylor launched the Philosophical Magazine, one of the first scientific journals produced by an independent company. It was the start of many close collaborations with scholarly societies.
Dr William Francis, a chemist, joined Richard Taylor in 1852 and continued the tradition of the close links between the academic community and the company.
In 1936 Taylor & Francis became a private limited company with leading scientists as directors and shareholders. The last two decades have seen the most dramatic and rapid growth with the setting up of publishing and distribution centres around the world. This growth, fuelled by significant and strategic acquisition, led Taylor & Francis to a successful flotation of the Group on the London Stock Exchange in 1998.
Shortly after the flotation, the Group more than doubled in size with the acquisition of the Routledge Group of companies, which includes Routledge, Spon Press and Carfax. The acquisitions have continued with additions to the growing lists from quality publications including Cavendish Publishing, Martin Dunitz, Europa Publications, Gordon & Breach, Curzon Press, Fitzroy Dearborn, Garland Science, Bios Scientific Publishers Limited, Frank Cass and CRC Press.